[kwlug-disc] Transferring large backup files over the network

Remi Gauvin remi at georgianit.com
Thu May 23 17:56:51 EDT 2019

On 2019-05-23 4:40 p.m., Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:

> Hrm. That brings to mind the (non-FLOSS) Windows Subsystem for Linux.
> The problem with many of these "compile Linux tools on Windows" is
> that they are often limited to 32-bit (although I am not sure whether
> MobaXterm is). That actually has caused problems for me in my backups
> when I have tried to use various Rsync for Windows tools in the past.
>
> But if I install Linux in Windows using WSL, then the 64 bit versions
> of these tools might be available, and then maybe NTFS is not going to
> be the bottleneck any more.

I just use Cygwin for this purpose.  Neither NTFS nor 32-bitness are a
problem, and I have no idea why you think they would be.  I do not,
however, preserve the permissions / Ownership of the Windows host to the
backup.

Sample rsync:

(Note: The --inplace is because I'm using BTRFS and snapshots on the
backup side.  You would not use it otherwise.)\

Note2: I have encountered problems with rsync compression and some multi
GB files.  Compression is instead enabled in the ssh_config if sending
over a slow link.

/usr/bin/rsync \
	-a --no-o --no-g --no-p --chmod=ugo=rwX --info=STATS \
	--inplace --exclude='.snapshots' --delete \
	/nas/  \
	destination_host:/data/nas/