[kwlug-disc] Transferring large backup files over the network

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu May 23 15:19:42 EDT 2019

Say I have a big (multi-terabyte) collection of backup files (which
tend to be large, in the tens of gigabytes) sitting on some server A.

I have a LAN connection (maybe gigabit, maybe 100MBit) available and
another server B in a different building. I want to regularly transfer
the collection of files from server A to server B each evening.

Maybe the filesystem on server A is NTFS, but this is a soft
requirement that I would try to work around if I could.

What FLOSS tools would be best for this use case and why?
If you know of good solutions that would play with NTFS, that is a
bonus. (rsync is not in that category, especially if Server A has to
run Windows.) But even if we soften the NTFS requirement, I am not
sure whether rsync is still the best solution here.

- Paul

--
Sign Up for the WatCamp Newsletter: https://da.gd/wtcmp-news
(Also http://pnijjar.freeshell.org still exists)