[kwlug-disc] OT: SAS cables/controller cards (and Fibrechannel?)

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Sat May 18 09:25:51 EDT 2019

Thanks Ron, I believe the Fibre channel arrays are probably wiped, but
it's been so long since we got those particular arrays that I'm not
entirely sure. The arrays came from a source I would expect would be
pretty concerned about data. That said we still wipe drives regardless
of what people tell us (for our own peace of mind). We held off trying
to wipe those particular drives since the control unit for the fibre
channel drives apparently has some software issues.

Paul, I thought I'd mention that we sprung for PartedMagic, so in
addition to dBan we've started using that for SSD's and the like.
(I've already put it on the PXE server).

If you happen to drop those off Ron just make sure you ask for either
Martin, Charles, Kirk, or Berleine [our IT dept] (Paul still does a
lot of work for us, but he's not often on site). The official address
is 58 Queen Street south. Computer Recycling has a door on the corner
of Queen and Charles street, directly across from Full Circle Foods
health store (Charles street). If you happen to have a bit of time I'd
be happy to show you the arrays.

We've definitely run into that time issue, we had a client that asked
for an 8 pass RCMP standard for a 1TB drive and that took a couple of
days. We haven't used PartedMagic a lot, but I hear it might be a bit
quicker than DBan. The price for a single license was really cheap,
something like $14.

Paul, really appreciate this as this is one of those priority things
that just always kept getting shelved dealing with the daily grind and
other projects!