[kwlug-disc] OT: SAS cables/controller cards (and Fibrechannel?)

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Fri May 17 16:47:45 EDT 2019

4 things --

1 - can you give some idea of the storage capacity of the arrays? See,
these arrays are loud as hell, suck a lot of juice($$$ to run) and if >8
years old, pretty low in capacity. Buying cables/cards to use them as
storage devices for PCs/servers would not be cost-effective by any stretch.

2 - Fibre-stuff, though fast, can be spendy to get up and running as
cables/cards are not cheap to come by or free for that matter. Most of the
>8yo FC arrays were along the lines of 2tb-4tb of raw storage that sucks
some 120w-150w depending on speeds of the HDDs. Those 10KRPM HDDs are
power-hungry.

3 - I have some Intel and 3Ware 9650se-8 ML cards(PCI/e 8087-conn) that can
be borrowed, I am sure I have the some short(18") 8087-8087 cables in hand
too.  These are capable of 3Gbps SAS/SATA.

In most cases, it is worthwhile popping the drives out and returning them
to service in a desktop with a bunch of open bays and tossing the original
cage. Again, limited storage to be gained as the world is all about 4TB
HDDs and 1TB SSDs these days.

4  - The fact that you have drive arrays in this privacy-aware world is
surprising. My IT shop regularly get some of this older stuff with the raid
array scrubbed, but scrubbed poorly since an 8-drive 2.4tb(raw) array takes
about 4 days to complete a 3-pass DOD-type scrub. We are tasked with
destroying said array, we do that by drilling the hell out of the drives so
that the platters become a mess of broken glassy bits.

You are welcome to borrow as many as 4 cards from my local IT joint for up
to 2 months if you feel they can be useful.
I could bring them by 50 Queen(?) or wherever the arrays are residing.

Thanks,

Ron Singh