[kwlug-disc] Functional programming enthusiasts?

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu May 16 21:05:58 EDT 2019

Intersections KW used to discuss functional programming at most of their meetups. But their leadership changed, and now the focus is Data Science.

Stephen Paul Weber (@singpolyma) is more enthusiastic about Haskell than anyone else I know. He hangs out at the DevHouse meetups that occur once a month at Shopify in Waterloo, and often gives a lightning talk during these meetups. His friend Christopher Vollick (@psychotica0) hosts Dev House and is also quite knowledgeable. So try visiting Dev House and ask around. Ask Stephen about Haskell. You will be invited to give an impromptu lightning talk about your programming nerd passion, which could involve Haskell or FP. Bring a laptop and there is free pizza. Recommended.

My current favourite is the Future Of Programming meetups at Google. The focus here is on the theory of programming language design, and how that will save the world. Each month we read and critique papers on PLT theory. There is also a slack channel. Since my open source project is a dynamically typed, visual, pure functional programming language that will transform life on earth, it's the perfect meetup for me. What I'm saying is, it's a safe space for architecture astronauts. No one will judge you. Functional programming is one of the topics, although this is not a Haskell users group.

All of these meetups are on Watcamp.

So, I consider myself a functional programming enthusiast, but, I don't use Haskell. Weird, I know. I might be interested in a new group, depending on the focus.

Doug Moen