[kwlug-disc] OT: Global TV over the air change

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jul 30 22:01:50 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 9:37 PM R. Brent Clements <rbclemen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I had my business partner look into it.  Global is apparently no longer
> transmitting from that tower.

There is something at 17.1, but my two tuners (TV and PVR) can't pick it
up. It shows a weak signal.
TV Fool says they are transmitting from the Paris tower on 17.1, but shows
a lower power than the
TVO 28.1 there. But was the power before when it was 6.1? No way to know
unless someone saved
the page or a screenshot.

> Also, what used to be 36.1 (CITS) is now transmitting as 14.1 apparently.

This is true. They had a scrolling notice last week, and rescanning
yesterday found the new channel.

A few years ago I would have said that the CRTC would make sure something
> is transmitting on channel 17 from that tower so that the frequency
> wouldn't be snapped up in the USA.  Bell and Rogers want OTA TV to die, and
> their influence over the CRTC is great, so I don't know now.

Yeah, the vested interests steer the CRTC whichever way they want. Too bad.