[kwlug-disc] Telescopes and RasPi

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Feb 28 16:24:31 EST 2019

Interesting overview, but low on details.

Seems he retained all the functionality of the existing controller, and
just added WiFi to it. No small feat, given that he had to find out which
wires on the Celestron controller to solder to ...etc.

Not sure how he was able to interface with INDI (an open source standard
for interfacing astronomical devices).

The project I am involved with, OnStep takes that a step further and
replaces the entire manufacturer controller with an open source GPL
firmware that has WiFi, INDI support, ...etc.

For those interested, here is a Youtube playlist that I did regarding OnStep

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZukVlnRom-3YhPkIIvXWJqaCuHc1_qj5

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 3:47 PM CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is mostly for our in-house star gazing expert Khalid, but I just got
> my online MagPi magazine and there's a short article in there about using a
> Raspberry Pi to control a telescope:
>

> https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/MagPi79.pdf?utm_source=Raspberry+Pi+Press+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5022563fb1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_MagPi_77_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e2ce89f288-5022563fb1-495320715&mc_cid=5022563fb1&mc_eid=50bb6975a3

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. -- Edsger W.Dijkstra
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -- anonymous