[kwlug-disc] A feel-good story about the power of open source

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 22:11:39 EST 2019

Two decades ago, a piece of open source software I wrote for a Canadian HPC
project (involving SHARCNET) caught the attention of someone working for
NASA JPL, and after a few emails and a call regarding our experience
applying it, a modified version of it was used in a small way to help the
Mars Exploration Rover (MER) mission involving the rovers Spirit and
Opportunity.
With today's announcement that the MER mission is officially over, it's
nice to know that a piece of open source software I wrote made it easier
for NASA JPL, even if it was in a small way - it made me smile over coffee
this morning!