[kwlug-disc] Memory Issue

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Feb 9 18:57:24 EST 2019

Let us focus on only one tool (htop) to avoid confusion.

Do the following:

1. In Firefox, goto Preferences, then Performance, and instead of 4
processes, select only
one process. That will reduce its memory usage drastically.

2. Quit Firefox

3. Quit Atom

4. Go to htop, then F2, then Display Options, and only enable the following:

[x] Hide kernel threads
[x] Hide userland process
threads

[x] Display threads in a different color
[x] Show custom thread names
[x] Show program path
[x] Highlight program "basename"
[x] Highlight large numbers in memory counters
[x] Detailed CPU time (System/IO-Wait/Hard-IRQ/Soft-IRQ/Steal/Guest)
[x] Add guest time in CPU meter percentage

Every other option should be off (no [x]).

Upload an image of the laptop without Atom or Firefox running.

5. Start Firefox and compare the memory usage vs. from when you had 4
processes.

When you do that, and upload images of htop, make sure they are in a
different folder
there, so we don't confuse them with the previous images.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.