[kwlug-disc] Photo Managment

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 14:42:32 EST 2019

Back in Nov 2016, at the beginning of my foray into Linux, I wanted to toss
Firefox from Ubuntu Mate and install Firefox-ESR.

I did the autoremove thing and proceeded to clobber the OS, rendering a
non-booting system(Thinkpad T430s).
I did it with Ubuntu Xfce too, same issue.

I then tried "remove" as opposed to autoremove of Firefox and then install
Firefox-ESR and that worked a treat, a lot less packages removed and the
system remained stable without any issues.

I need to research what really goes on with remove/autoremove/purge.
Seems like "remove" ditches the program but leaves config files and
dependencies behind(which I am fine with).
I think autoremoving Firefox(baked into the ISO) also removed it's
dependencies which other apps/OS also needed to run properly.

So much to learn here, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks,

Ron Singh