[kwlug-disc] Callout to CS majors/Other technically savvy klwug listers.

Stuart Seeley stuart at lowlevel.ca
Fri Feb 8 15:17:58 EST 2019

Blockchain seems to be applied to almost everything these days and that
doesn't usually make a lot of sense, but I think it does in LBRY's case.
The payment aspect of it to me is very much secondary to the
anti-censorship...  the end users host the index on blockchain and the
content on torrents; can be available indefinitely with no server overhead.

With typical torrent tracker/indexing site.. or content hosting sites...
would be consumers of data can easily be cut off from content since there
is someone in control of the central point deciding what can be available
and what can't be.  (Or authorities deciding which trackers or hosts can
exist and can't.)

I have some concerns that LBRY may have trouble with 51% attacks, or out of
control blockchain data growth/etc, but perhaps they have that figured out.
The bitcoin block chain is pushing 200 gigabytes.

Stuart