[kwlug-disc] The Pinebook Pro

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 6 11:09:55 EST 2019

I ran across this company when I was looking for SBCs that can run Linux
for my Home Assistant project. I ended up with a Raspberry Pi 3, but was
impressed with their SBCs.

https://www.pine64.org/

The laptop seems to be a natural evolution from there.

What worries me about these companies is the same thing that plagues
Orange Pi, Banana Pi, and other more powerful RPi clones: software and
community. Specifically, they make the operating system work, then do
not put any effort in updating it at all, then it is abandoned after a new
model comes out. Also, the lack of a community hobbles them.

Let us see if the laptop can overcome these problems.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 11:01 AM L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>
wrote:

> Looks like there is a reasonable, inexpensive open-source (friendly)
> laptop coming down the pipe soon:
>
> https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7093
>
> Not sure how many binary blobs are required to make it go but my BSD
> friends think it is OK.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. -- Edsger W.Dijkstra
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -- anonymous