[kwlug-disc] Identify this exploit?

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Sat Dec 28 14:46:45 EST 2019

There is more than one way a user agent can get the /etc/passwd file from a
web server. One way is to exploit a bug in the web server software. Another
way is for the administrator of the server to allow access in its
configuration. If you change the <Directory /> directive to allow access
and you have no system-wide security to prevent it, a user agent can access
that file.

So, yes, a horribly configured web server can allow access to that file.

John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical