[kwlug-disc] Banana Pi BPI-R64 Linux Router Board Launched for $68

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 27 12:29:52 EDT 2019

Sounds like a nice board ...

The issue with these 3rd party boards that compete with the RaspberryPI is
that
the software is usually flaky and never gets updated.

The article echos that sentiment:

"Software-wise the company offers a Linux 4.4 BSP which
*has not been updated *
*in 8 months*, but the board is apparently supported by mainline OpenWrt
using
Linux 4.14 or 4.19. The company also provides Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS,
Debian
10 Buster Lite, and “AArch64 Linux Lite”  images that are allegedly all
based on
Linux 4.19, making it clear the *Linux BSP is completely useless*…"

Even though they provide Ubuntu and Debian, I doubt they will update them

And although they say OpenWRT has support for it, they link to the github
mirror.
But there is no ready binary listed here. There is mt7623, but not mt7622.

https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_fwdownload?dataflt%5B0%5D=supported%20current%20rel_%3D18.06.4

Here there are a few Banana Pi, but not this model:

https://openwrt.org/toh/start

Sigh ...

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 12:03 PM CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> for the openWRT hackers in the group...
>

> https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/08/27/banana-pi-bpi-r64-linux-router-board/
>
> might be an interesting idea next time I blow up a router and need a new
> one...  getting tired of buying those overpriced proprietary routers only
> to find that they don't do all that I want...  with this SBC router you can
> load openWRT and hack to your heart's delight... or so I hear!

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
"Sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going
to blow up in our faces." -- Dr. Carl Sagan