[kwlug-disc] Pulseaudio question

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Aug 26 17:25:28 EDT 2019

Don't know if that would cover all cases. It is specific to when XFCE is
used
with pulseaudio, and when pulseaudio stops working (no sound coming
out).

I now have this simple script to get around the problem:

$ cat ~/bin/pulse-reset.sh
#!/bin/sh

pulseaudio -k
pkill xfce4-volumed
xfce4-volumed > /dev/null 2>&1

Thanks to Paul for sleuthing this ...

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 5:22 PM Ron Singh <ronsingh149 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if it would be a good idea to send this tread off to Sean M.
> Davis of Xfce?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron Singh
>

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 12:05 AM Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc <
> kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:
>

>> Using xprop on the window that pops up confirms that it is
>> xfce4-notifyd. (run xprop in one window, volup/voldown when displays
>> are working, and click on the popup):
>>
>> linuxuser at ubuntu:~$ xprop
>> _NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 4294967295
>> _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE, _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY,
>> _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER
>>
>> [... stuff skipped ...]
>>
>> WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd", "Xfce4-notifyd"
>> WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd"
>> _NET_WM_ICON_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd"
>> WM_NAME(STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd"
>> _NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd"
>>

>> However, on my testing system killing this process did nothing. There
>> is another daemon (which the internet says is obsolete?) called
>> xfce4-volumed which appears to be the culprit:
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/xfce4-volumed
>>
>> When I ran the following:
>>
>> $ pkill xfce4-volumed
>> $ xfce4-volumed
>>
>> the notifications started working for me again. (I was able to
>> reproduce Khalid's problem  after killing pulseaudio.)
>>
>> - Paul
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 05:23:05PM -0400, Ron Singh wrote:
>> > Mebbe this might help?
>> >
>> > Xfce4-notifyd
>> >
>> > from this google result --
>> >
>> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/xfce-volume-indicator-when-button-is-pressed-4175514142/