[kwlug-disc] Pulseaudio question

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 25 00:04:54 EDT 2019

Using xprop on the window that pops up confirms that it is
xfce4-notifyd. (run xprop in one window, volup/voldown when displays
are working, and click on the popup):

linuxuser at ubuntu:~$ xprop
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 4294967295
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE, _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER

[... stuff skipped ...]

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd", "Xfce4-notifyd"
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd"
_NET_WM_ICON_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "xfce4-notifyd"

However, on my testing system killing this process did nothing. There
is another daemon (which the internet says is obsolete?) called
xfce4-volumed which appears to be the culprit:

https://launchpad.net/xfce4-volumed

When I ran the following:

$ pkill xfce4-volumed
$ xfce4-volumed

the notifications started working for me again. (I was able to
reproduce Khalid's problem  after killing pulseaudio.)

- Paul

Get tech event listings: https://off-topic.kwlug.org/watcamp
Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org