[kwlug-disc] Need help with running java applets from IPMI/BMC

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Mon Aug 19 20:30:00 EDT 2019

Context of the story:

1) Many 5y old servers have remote consoles available. But these are
available via java applets.

2) Over the past years two things have happened. Browsers stop
supporting java. Some restricting on dealing with signatures in java has
also changed: for example this is an account
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21157450/how-to-make-a-machine-trust-a-self-signed-java-application

The story:

a) I have machines into which I used to go via java applet console, i.e.
it worked.

b) No new browser will allow java. I am on ubuntu, a firefox fan.
Firefox 52 something dropped java. Creating a VM with fresh install of
Ubuntu 14 will give you Firefox 52 that doesn't run java. Its the
version with most warnings.

c) I have Ubuntu 12 with some older firefox, on which I did "apt-mark
hold firefox*", or something like this, before allowing it on the network.

d) icedtea plugin installs, all is nice, except java complains about
code being unsigned, and shows respective exception. I've tried a thing
from mentioned post, sticking "grant { permission
java.security.AllPermission; };" to policy files, to no avail on both
openjdk6 and 7.

e) I have VM specifically to run this insecure view, attached to
internal virtual network with no escape, to which ports are forwarded by
host via ssh tunneling. Setup is perfect, except for java refusing to run.

Words of caution. If you are logging into java console now, preserve the
tools, better virtualize your setup for future.

Question 1:
Does anyone have an image, or can make an image of tools setup that
allow running browser with java applets?

Question 2:
Is there a flag that will tell java to run like its development, without
checking any signatures and allowing any permissions?

Thank you.