[kwlug-disc] Filesystems for backups

bob+kwlug at softscape.ca bob+kwlug at softscape.ca
Fri Aug 16 13:57:47 EDT 2019

To piggy-pack onto this somewhat with my thoughts and experiences with BTRFS,

Totally agree with the "RAID 1" setup of BTRFS. The other RAID levels had serious design (or coding?) flaws in them and the developers announced that people should STOP using them for production (or anything you cared about). So that means you are down to 50% usable capacity if you do this. I'm not sure what the current status of this is, but I have not come across anything saying RAID5/6 was ready to consider again.

Now, my playing with BTRFS has been only that but the theoretical part that appealed to me the most was that you can add and remove disks (of whatever size) at will. You just rebalance the filesystem and it automagically incorporates or removes the changed disk while preserving the RAID1-ness of the data. This really appeals to me for the home lab which has a dog's breakfast of hard drives available at any given time.

It does have block check summing capabilities (like ZFS) as far as I understand, and I absolutely love the ability to use the --reflink option on cp to create COW files. There are many creative uses of that (eg: full copies of an encrypted Mac IMG file where the only disk space used is the delta from the last backup. Use that with 'rsync --inplace' and this is quick and efficient).

I think ZFS has better mindshare in the community but I get claustrophobic when I think about changing drive configurations that involve complete copies being made. Having said that though, I've never done any serious work with BTRFS but the theory of its capabilities in that regard really appeal to me. If I was doing it, I'd use ZFS for really important data. If it was a backup server in a proper 2 or 3 copy architecture, I likely would give BTRFS serious consideration, notwithstanding the 50% usable space hit on RAID1.

My $0.02

BB