[kwlug-disc] Filesystems for backups

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Wed Aug 7 21:57:37 EDT 2019

OK.  Let me try and take a swing at this...

I will pitch a ZFS on Ubuntu option. I think that covers
well-supported/easy to admin.
Plenty of ZFS documentation out there (thanks Sun!) and ZFS on Linux
mailing list is helpful.

A useful tool is the ServeTheHome RAID calculator which does ZFS:
https://www.servethehome.com/raid-calculator/

Other preliminaries...
1) A ZFS pool is made up of vdevs striped together.  As Mikalai points
out elsewhere, a vdev can be a single drive or a mirror or a
RAIDZ[1,2,3] group.
vdevs are independent objects: You can stripe across N vdevs of
different types.  The total available capacity is sum of individual
capacities. Better performance if capacities are the same.
2) For individual drives bigger than 2TB, I think RAIDZ2 is a
requirement. Especially with used HDDs.
3) Can your drive shelf handle drives with 4K sectors?  I tend to doubt
it.  In that case, you will probably never use a drive >4TB in your array.
4) You will never add single drives to your ZFS array to expand
capacity.  You will only ever concatenate (RAIDZ2) vdevs, build a second
pool with different vdev configuration, or replace all drives in a vdev
with larger drives.

Configuration options to get 15-20TB today with 1 and 3TB drives:

1) Forget the 1TB drives.  If you have 10x 3TB drives, build a ZFS pool
with a single (8+2) RAIDZ2 vdev.
That should get you about 20TB usable (knock 10% off what the RAID
calculator says - ZFS is not capacity efficient - data consistency has a
cost!)
If you want to expand:  Build a second pool with (6+2) 4TB drives and
ZFS send data across from old pool to new pool.  Destroy original pool
and remove 3TB HDD.  Expand new pool with (6+2) vdevs of 4TB drives at a
time.
That way you can get up to 60TB usable with 24x4TB HDD. Can also do with
(10+2) 4TB drives to get to 70TB at lower performance (more vdevs = more
random IOP performance).

2) Build 2x (10+2) vdev pool with 1TB HDD.  That will give you 16TB
usable today.
To expand such a pool, replace and resliver 1TB drives in a vdev one at
a time. Once all drives in a vdev are replaced, the vdev capacity
can/will increase.
With 3TB drives, replacing all drives gives about 50TB.  4TB HDD, 70TB.

Samba plays well with ZFS eg. ZFS snapshots can be mapped to Windows
shadow copies.

Device removal is limited to mirror vdevs in ZoL at this time:
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/6900#issuecomment-501021145