[kwlug-disc] Filesystems for backups

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 21:22:53 EDT 2019

Using ZFS raidz (or raidz2 or raidz3) seems like the best fit for what you
want.
Yes, you can't add more drives easily to a raidz, but this is minor,
because you can simply use multiple ZFS pools to extend storage.
Speed and data reliability are the biggest benefits of ZFS.
I do prefer FreeNAS myself (since I've used BSD for what seems like
forever), but it works very well on Linux (I just wish ZFS could legally be
incorporated into the kernel).
ReFS sucks.