[kwlug-disc] Raspberry Pi 4

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Aug 3 12:40:41 EDT 2019

I agree with Doug here. A successful standard is one that is foolproof to
implement.
A standard that is ambiguous, confusing, or too complex is a nightmare.

The fact that two companies failed to implement it correctly, one fairly
large and
experienced, and the other has lots of experience too, is proof that the
standard,
as it is currently written, is a failure.

And this is not the first time. Remember when we had USB Hi-Speed,
SuperSpeed,
and all these meaningless designations? This confusion did not last long
though, so
I hope that USB-C settles down too.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:12 AM Doug Moen <doug at moens.org> wrote:

> My take is that the USB-C standard is really messed up. The fact that it
> is so difficult to implement correctly is a warning sign. There was also
> that case of substandard USB-C cables sold on Amazon physically destroying
> your laptop when used for recharging.
>

> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/google-engineer-finds-usb-type-c-cable-thats-so-bad-it-fried-his-chromebook-pixel/
>
> On Sat, Aug 3, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:
>
> There is a saying: "Many problems have two solutions. One is obvious,
> simple and ... wrong."
>
> Apparently USB-C problem of putting analog circuit is a problem of this
> kind. There is a solution with one resistor instead of two (as article
> mentions) which incorrectness is not obvious (especially with blinding "we
> saved one resistor!"). Nintendo guys stepped into this. Raspberry guys
> stepped into this. And may be even Apple guys did with some of their
> dongles, as commented in Nintendo article
> https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/nintendo-warns-against-using-substandard-switch-charging-cables/?comments=1&post=35114343
> .
>
> Being on a weekend, I am simply amazed at complexities present in this
> world, and that we, humans, are tackling them nevertheless. Wow!
> On 2019-08-03 10:07 a.m., CrankyOldBugger wrote:
>
> I'm sure that we'll be seeing the Raspi 4 B v2 or something soon.  They
> have good engineers working there.
>

> On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 10:06, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc <
> kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:
>
> This speaks to the power of open design: someone else found a bug and
> pointed it out.
> On 2019-08-03 12:13 a.m., Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
> Eben Upton confirmed that there are mistakes in implementing the
> standard(s) for USB-C.
>

> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07/raspberry-pi-4-uses-incorrect-usb-c-design-wont-work-with-some-chargers/
>
> On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 12:09 AM CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> You need to watch what USB cables you use with the Raspi 4, though.
> Apparently the RP4 is having problems with smart cables:
> https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/raspberry-pi-4-usb-c-cable-issue-confirmed/
>

> On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 20:35, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc <
> kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:
>
> Raspberry PI 4 is coming out, with same arm cores as helm, but with 4GB of
> RAM. Finally USB 3, and dual HDMI.
>
> https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-4-b,6193.html

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. -- Edsger W.Dijkstra
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -- anonymous