[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 18.04

doug moen doug at moens.org
Thu Mar 29 15:09:17 EDT 2018

I wonder about this as well. Did some googling. Here's what seems to be
going on.

   - Network Manager is a high level interface for managing your network
   configuration. It has config files. Created by Red Hat in 2004.
   - systemd-networkd is the systemd replacement for Network Manager. Newer
   than Network Manager, and apparently not an acceptable replacement for it
   in all circumstances.
   - Ubuntu 18.04 supports both Network Manager and systemd-networkd. The
   Netplan design doc says:
      - Wifi and WWAN get managed by NetworkManager
      - Any other configured devices get handled by networkd by default,
      unless explicitly marked as managed by a specific manager
   - Netplan is an Ubuntu project; a high level interface for managing your
   network configuration. It can be configured to translate netplan config
   into either Network Manager config or systemd-networkd config.

Maybe there's a bit of this going on: https://xkcd.com/927/