[kwlug-disc] Drupal core - Highly critical - Remote Code Execution - SA-CORE-2018-002

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Mar 28 22:51:00 EDT 2018

Khalid wrote:
> The FAQ is intentionally vague to make it hard(er) for exploiters.

Not meaning to pile on Khalid, but that hardly seems like "full
disclosure" to me.

A commercial software vendor whose software I SysAdminned released a
patch with the same sort of urgent vagueness: "Really important!"
What is it? "Ain't saying!"

Their software was fragile, to put it nicely. Used for a
mission-critical application, and needed to go through at least some
in-house testing before being allowed in production. But we didn't
know what the problem was, which modules were affected, the financial
risk of not patching, vs. the cost of downtime for patching (and the
additional cost of the patch breaking things, resulting in more
downtime). After chewing out our software rep (to no avail) we ended
up patching, spending a weekend updating some 25 servers (by hand,
those servers were all snowflakes) and trying to keep the databases in
sync.

A few years later I was working somewhere else with someone who said
"Oh yeah, I discovered that vulnerability! It was (blah, blah blah)."
Of course, the flaw existed in none of the servers we had patched,
since we didn't run the affected modules. So, lots of cost and
downtime, for no good purpose. And no way to hold that software vendor
accountable for lost time and money.

- --Bob, who much prefers *real* full disclosure.