[kwlug-disc] Which JavaScript should I learn?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Mar 13 12:47:54 EDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:12 AM, William Park via kwlug-disc
<kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a general question about JavaScript.  I want to develop/propose
> "web app" hosted from embedded Linux board.  So,
>     - you go to its webpage,
>     - click "web app",
>     - it will serve out JavaScript to browser client, and
>     - the app will be running on the browser.
>
> Which Javascript should I learn?
>
> I mean, there are Meteor, Angular, React, Ember, Vue, etc.  Some are
> described as "framework", and others described as "library".  Then,
> there is Web Assembly I've been reading about recently.  It's difficult
> to figure out what's what.

Oh! You mean which Javascript _Framework_ should you learn.

I can only quote what is happening in the Drupal world, from observing.
I don't do front end development, so no first hand experience.

It all started with Angular, which was developed by Google.
Ember made some headway after that.
React seemed like a good solution, but Facebook had a patent clause that
turned people off. They later removed that clause, so no longer a concern.

Seems that React has all the momentum now, and Drupal will adopt React
as its JS framework.

One thing that is appealing is React Native, which allows you to develop cross
platform mobile applications using the same code base (i.e. no more iOS code
base and a separate Android code base

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.