[kwlug-disc] Presentation needed for April

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Mar 7 14:15:48 EST 2018

KWLUG is looking to accommodate both technical and newcomer audience.
In fact, the meetings will be split into two segments, and the first one
will be for those newly starting with Linux and other Open Source products.

Your presentation would be perfect for those newcomer audience.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Sandeep Johri <sandeepjohri at rogers.com>
wrote:

> Hi Paul
>
> I had sent a response to you earlier (it may have been one that got lost
> in the glitch you had talked about in January) - and would be happy to
> present - 'My Linux Journey - an end users perspetive'.  I am a
> non-technical person and had hoped to share what I did - how I bounced
> around the various distros, lessons learned and how I landed where I am
> now + where I see myself going with my learning.
>
> As this is a technical group though - they may not find this
> interesting....
>
> Let me know.
>
> Regards
>
> Sandeep
>
> From:
> Sandeep Johri
>
> On 07/03/18 12:37 PM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> > William won't be able to make the April meeting, so we need a new
> > beginner-friendly presentation for that month.
> >

> > >From my archives, here is a list of topics suggestions that have come
> > up. If you want I can clean this up and put it online.
> >
> > - Paul
> >

> > - What are volumes
> > - What are mount/umount
> > - What filesystem should I use? What are the tradeoffs?
> > - Blockchain mining
> >
> > How the Internet Works
> > - DNS
> > - IP routing
> > - Server ports
> > - Search Engines
> > - Email
> > - Facebook
> > - CDNs
> > - Web caching
> > - Web browsers: Javascript, CSS, HTML
> > Bob: Password Managers
> > - Tim: Keeppass multi host per database? Integrating Windows and Open
> >   Source
> >
> >> Other potential topics...
> >> 1. Scripting in the BASH shell.
> >> 2. Pros/Cons of using various open-source, free/libre operating
> >> systems
> >> 3. Managing/maintaining your family photo collection.
> >> 4. SELinux
> >> 5. Systemd (pros and cons, how about an honest discussion)
> >> 6. Licensing types (https://www.fsf.org/licensing)
> >> 7. Avoiding vendor lockin
> >> (ex. http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/79417.html)
> >> 8. Email vs. texting vs. twitter vs. FB vs. good old fashioned phone
> >> cal
> >> 9. Open firmware / open hardware
> >> 10. Encrypted  backup to your home network
> >> 11. Web browser vulnerability and how GNU/Linux distributions
> >> compare
> >> to OpenBSD,OSX,etc.
> >> 12. I've never used Arduino, would it be useful for me? Could it
> >> replace my old computers?
> >> 13. Energy savings. Would it be less expensive to run a newer
> >> computer
> >> that hibernates vs. my old computer. Does it cost more per year to
> >> run
> >> my old computer than a modern computer?

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. -- Edsger W.Dijkstra
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -- anonymous