[kwlug-disc] consulting fees

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Feb 23 11:34:07 EST 2018

The majority of my clients are outside Canada, so I get wire transfers
often.

Incoming wire fees will be around $37.50 or less. Some countries are
higher.

Also, the USD is higher than the CAD for the time being. But if it shifts
the other way (and it did for many years) you eat up the difference.

Banks offer different US chequing accounts. Some give you lower fees or
flat per-transaction fee, others have preferred transfer rates. You can get
your bank to open a US chequing account, and change the type when you want
to transfer funds, then change it back. This works only if you have a
buffer of CAD to weather the USD/CAD fluctuations. I strongly advise that
though, since you can make up 5% more in currency difference if you wait
for 8 or 10 months rather than do it monthly at whatever rate is in effect.

I had it both ways, and the buffer method (if funds are available) is much
better.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.