[kwlug-disc] So, I took the plunge... Mail In A Box

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Feb 22 15:06:22 EST 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 1:44 PM, bob+kwlug at softscape.ca <
bob+kwlug at softscape.ca> wrote:

> Chamunks wrote:
>
> > I think you're right mostly however I think that there could be great
> > benefit from everyone running their own email servers instead of the
> cloud
> > doing it. The only problem is the entry level complexity.  If we had
> > something like docker and open source solutions for continuous
> integration
> > and deployment it would be perfect.
> >
> > But I'm crazy I envision a world of both convenience and security.
>
> Hehe, yeah. But you're the good kind of crazy.

There is nothing crazy about what Chamunks is doing.

It is actually a 'take back control of your infrastructure' thing, and
against centralization of it with companies, rather than a distributed
system built over standard protocols.

I really applaud this attempt.

This thread is tempting me to go back to my email server setup and try to
fix the issues with it.

When I setup DKIM and SPF a couple of years back, I thought all is well.
Now the mail test page is saying the score is 3/10, and flags DKIM and SPF
(probably because I am sending email from a satellite server, over port
587, and need to do something about those satellites too).