[kwlug-disc] So, I took the plunge... Mail In A Box

Mark Steffen rmarksteffen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 14:18:10 EST 2018

Not just the outbound port 25 block issue with running a mail server on a
residential-type connection, but also consider you're going to have
reputational problems.

There are a bunch of RBLs that many mail server admins use to cut down on
all the junkmail out there.  dyna.spamrats.com and relays.sorbs.net are two
off the top of my head.  Dynamic ranges (eg home ISP connections) are
blacklisted as they are seldom a source of legitimate email.  Also, many
mail servers check to make sure there is a proper PTR records which match
your mail server's hostname.  With a static IP from teksavvy you might be
ok (and they may be willing to update the rDNS for you), but you'll want to
run your IP through anti-abuse.org's multi RBL checker also.

YMMV :)

*Mark Steffen*
Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile: +1.226.600.0464
*"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln*