[kwlug-disc] OT: CIGI talk on surveillance

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Wed Feb 21 13:42:59 EST 2018

CrankyOldBugger wrote on 2018-02-21 09:31 AM:

> Well, ironic that this conversation came up today, given the news of
> this morning, but my Dad was a broadcaster all of his life, so he had a
> natural talent for speaking to crowds.  He once said to me that if you
> want to become a good public speaker, watch some tapes of Billy Graham;
> the man had a very strong presence in front of any crowd.  Learn to
> handle yourself in front of crowds like Rev. Graham and you will be a
> much better speaker.

I've had a couple occasions to speak publicly, and tried to model myself
on a couple of my favourite speakers, notably Barack Obama.

Particularly, knowing when to pause.

Not saying something for a brief moment can be crucial, it can add
emphasis, give the audience a chance to digest what's just been spoken,
and can keep the breathing steady.

Like photography - the background - what's not the focus of the photo,
can be as important to framing a shot as the subject.

Anyway, I suck at public speaking and photography, so my 2¢ is worth
much less than that.

r b