[kwlug-disc] OT: CIGI talk on surveillance

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Feb 21 11:46:38 EST 2018

Let me make a few remarks here:

1) @chamunks, you sounded well, with only light infliction in voice
closer to the end. Even though you might've felt from the *inside* that
your stressing out was obvious to everyone. Your speaking was great.
And, yey to speaking out in public!

1.1) When I was infront of that mic, the first two seconds I felt a
rush. Make it the rush. I consciously said to my brain "Thank you for
mobilizing me. Yet, infront of me is not a tiger, and it isn't boxing. I
need blood in language regions." This *reappraisal* of *internal state*
switched off the distraction and let me talk. Yes, closer to the end of
my remark I had a difficulty to find that English word. Of cause, some
blood did drain from my bilingual neo-cortex. Duh! :)

1.2) While reading (1.1), you may think WTF he is talking about. It is
the same sort of reaction that a person, who doesn't know vim's
internals or vim's approach, would say to the talk about "Ctrl- what?
You do this in a mere text editor?". Yes, nobody gave us a manual for
our brain. Its even worse than vim without -h. So, is there a manual for
brain, or a good -h?

1.3) David Rock's dense talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeJSXfXep4M

1.4) If the beginning of the 20-th century was a revolutionary time in
physics, beginning of this, 21-st, century brings the similar level of
correctness and usefulness to psychology. David Rock articulates modern
findings in an actionable form, tailored specifically to tech audience.
Do apply, and do test what he preaches. Do cross-reference with other
research, like you would do it in physics.

1.5) I selflessly recommend David Rock and his book, to all tech folks.
Cause from my millage it works. It describes brain correct enough for my
brain to be able to adjust behavioral patterns.

1.6) Note that when you adjust a line of code, program changes
*immediately*. Does neural net algorithm output (behavior?) changes
*immediately* on showing one learning input? No! By extension, don't
expect it from your brain either! Repetition and noticing little signs
of progress do work.

1.7) Last fall, there was a security-talking event in Accelerator
Center, organized by C3RM. The last talk was by ... , you guessed it, by
a psychologist! After her talk, mentioning SCARF (watch David's talk)
lightened her up, and on my "why schools don't teach a modicum of brain
literacy", she said that at least a school with her child is starting to
do something in this literacy area. There is hope. Yet, our generation
should pick up brain literacy after classes, just like older generations
had to pick up computer literacy after classes.

2) It seems to me that this CIGI event, having been centered around the
book, was too fear-spreading onto non-geeky public. It would be
analogous to talking about car fatalities without mentioning that seat
belts can be added to cars, airbags, and that may be cable brakes are
not enough for 200mph monsters, and hydraulics better be used. Remarks
from Magnetic Forensics guy, coupled with Trudeau socks, were not for
honest tech discussion, but rather influenced by some internal context
of what brought all speakers onto the podium last night. And the tone
was 100% apologetic, pro-surveillance, both corporate and militarized.

2.1) May I humbly suggest buying David Rock's book? It will be more
useful :) .