[kwlug-disc] So, I took the plunge... Mail In A Box

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Feb 19 17:52:00 EST 2018

(caveat: I have not tried to do email over anything other than
SMTP+IMAP+Gmail/corporate for a long time. I have the urge to run my own
mail server, but have never made the time for it.)

> Yeah, it really seems more about finesse and magic than math and
> science.  They tell you SPF and DKIM records are enough then they tell
> you that you need to check against blacklists.  Then they say you have

Does Mail-in-a-Box handle the SPF and DKIM out of the box?

Could you use your ISPs mail relay to send email, and then receive mail
directly to your own server? It partially defeats the point of running
your own server I know.
Could you filter out going email addresses? Send gmail/etc through your
ISPs relay, and send everything else though your own server directly.

Actually, I wonder if this could be a mail-in-a-box feature:
1. configure it with an existing SMTP relay (e.g., from your ISP)
2. by default send emails through this relay
3. send to emails which you communicate with often through your own SMTP
server
4. slowly send more emails over your own SMTP server, as it hopefully is
gaining more trust in the eyes of gmail/etc
5. and make it easy to fall back to the SMTP relay, if you get blocked

For anyone with more email experience than I, would this help at all?
Or just be overly complicated?

Andrew