[kwlug-disc] Using mosh

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 10:34:27 EST 2018

I started, and then stopped using mosh several years ago. I find that mosh
has two disadvantages:

(1) After dropping the initial ssh connection, it doesn't keep
/var/log/wtmp updated (see "man who") to indicate that someone is logged
into the system. I ran afoul of this when using mosh on an HPC system,
where the administrators didn't know whether I was trying to hide the fact
that I was logged in, and disabled my account (until I explained). Their
usage policy now forbids using mosh.

(2) Mosh uses a unique session key. If I am logged into a remote system,
and e.g. need to reboot my laptop, then it is impossible to continue an
existing session. (That's by design, but still inconvenient for me.)

I have now switched to using autossh and tmux. autossh will try to
re-establish the connection when it drops (network outage, moving the
laptop to a different wireless network). When I need to reboot, I need to
run autossh manually, but that's a small price to pay. tmux will keep my
remote session alive and allow me to reconnect.

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com>