[kwlug-disc] tool for editing movie meta-data?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 12:03:46 EST 2018

I do the same thing often myself.. but there's an easy fix.  I actually
take a bit of time every few months or so and do my entire movie collection
in one big script, if fact.  But as I'm not as good at Bash, sed, awk,
etc., as I would like to be, I actually do a 'ls' of all of my movie
folders and dump that into a spreadsheet that I use each time to clean up
the listings.

My objective here is to fix just the "Title" portion of the metadata.  I'm
sure some googling can help you fix other aspects but I really hate it when
I see a movie in the television's listings with some meaningless title.

The program you need, which I'm pretty sure comes with the CLI version of
handbrake, is mkvpropedit.

Let's say I want to clean up my copy of the 1995 nerd classic "Hackers".
The command is easy:

mkvpropedit "Hackers (1995).mkv" -e info -s title="Hackers (1995)".mkv

Where the first occurrence of "Hackers" is the actual filename, while the
second occurrence is the desired metadata title.  Writing the metadata is
pretty much instant.

Now picture this as a long list of all of your movies and you can see how
you can clean up your entire collection in a matter of minutes.  Using a
spreadsheet allows me to pull the desired metadata out of the actual
filename.  But I'm sure the awk/sed/bash guys here could show how to do
this in one simple script...