[kwlug-disc] kwlug-disc mailing list privacy

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 00:20:40 EST 2018

Oh my!

There is certainly passion in the very well-articulated(albeit at
times a tad peevish), response below.

My 2 cents, as a barely coherent newbie to Linux and KWLUG --
- I have come to appreciate dearly the resources KWLUG represents in
it's present form.
- I have to come appreciate the people who make KWLUG happen on a
purely volunteer basis.
- I have come to appreciate(in no small measure) the members of KWLUG.
- My limited experience with KWLUG's website has been one of reading
various postings by the membership where the topics were really quite
FLOSS-y in nature. There was nothing that popped out at me that could
possibly encourage bodily harm to the poster, but I have not read
every entry of every thread since the LUG started.
- I cannot fathom any reason for anyone to post a missive that might
attract anything more than some sharp words.

- I can only imagine Paul and Andrew and and and...are quite busy as
it is maintaining KWLUG and curating it's contents.

I vote the KWLUG maintains the status quo.
Make no changes other that the "Heed ye, all visitors" banner on the
greeting page of the LUG's website. Any additional measure will
involve great effort from the LUG's volunteers and value attached is
nebulous at best.

With all respect,

Ron Singh
*"who harbours no fear of potential harm by posting this message even
after having had too many cuba libres in this random Caribbean island
tonight*

On 12/16/18, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> I received a response from the original poster, who asked me to
> forward it to the list. I am doing so that the person in question can
> make their voice heard.
>
> I am hoping this won't inflame an acrimonious discussion.
>
> As for steps to take, I will add a heads-up to the kwlug-disc signup
> page that the archives are public, because that is easy to do.
>
> Some of the other suggestions seem interesting (such as leaving
> archives public but anonymizing identities) but I personally am not
> planning to take that on now.
>
> - Paul
>

> ------
>
> If you could relay my response below on the list, I would very much
> appreciate it.
>
> --
>
> I'd like to address a few of the arguments I've seen while following
> this discussion.
>
> Firstly, a number of people mentioned spam, and seemed to assume that
> this was my reason for not wanting the archives to be public. This is
> not the case. Spam is a nuisance, but one that can be taken care of
> easily enough with properly configured filters. For those who use major
> email providers that have very good spam filtering (like Gmail) or those
> who self-host but use their own anti-spam measures, this can be a non-issue.
>
> An analogy was made between public mailing list archives and
> conversations at parties, the idea being that it's like walking through
> a room and listening to different people talk, joining in if you want
> to. However, I do not believe this is a good comparison. In-person
> conversations (unless recorded with a microphone) are inherently
> ephemeral, limited in time by human memory and scope by proximity to the
> speaker. The internet is different. It is permanent, more or less. What
> you say may follow you around for the rest of your life, easily accessed
> by anyone. Maybe you don't think you've said anything controversial, and
> yet "controversial" is a subjective notion and can change very easily
> over time. What's acceptable to support or denounce today may become
> unacceptable tomorrow.
>
> A number of people have suggested using a different email address as a
> pseudonym. This is a fine suggestion, unless you've screwed up (as I
> have) and already said things you don't want public on your regular
> email. This can either be because you didn't know the lists were public
> in the first place, or because your views have shifted over time and
> you've come to regret things you've said, or perhaps you just got
> carried away in the heat of the moment (as can happen to the best of us)
> and had a momentary lapse in judgment. (Additionally, pseudonyms can be
> broken over time. If you use one too long, it can become easy to build a
> profile on you that can in theory be matched to your real world
> identity. And this is ignoring all of the technical ways that pseudonyms
> can be broken.)

> [...]

Thanks,

Ron Singh