[kwlug-disc] Local OpenStreetMap interest

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 12 23:25:03 EST 2018

Today at the CivicTechWR meetup, a local resident named David Trueman
proposed a project to revitalize local mapping resources in the
region. He is most interested in active transportation and climate
mitigation stuff.

This is based upon a similar effort from a bicycling group at the City
of Ottawa: https://maps.bikeottawa.ca . They have done things like map
collisions, classify bike infrastructure, and added OpenStreetMap
(OSM) data for things like bike parking and benches. They have also
taken photographs of trails and streets in Ottawa, creating something
akin to Google's StreetView.

David wants to do similar things in Waterloo Region, with a broader
focus than cycling. It sounds as if this StreetView-type project is
one of his early goals, but I think there is lots of other data that
could be entered into OSM locally.

There used to be a fair amount of interest in OSM stuff here, so I
thought I would put a call out for people interested in helping out. I
am guessing that if David could find 3-5 additional people who are
dedicated to improving OpenStreetMap, and then another handful of
people who help out occasionally, a lot of good data could be
produced.

I do not think I have David's email address, but I can contact him via
the CivicTechWR slack channel. If you are interested then let me know
on or offlist and I will get you in touch.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org