[kwlug-disc] Switch license or keep it the same?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sun Apr 15 21:50:53 EDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 03:12:03PM -0400, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> I don't hate the GPL but I chose the Apache license deliberately so
> that giant corporations would be willing to use my scripts to send
> newsletters. But this is not a big consideration for me.

You are the copyright holder.  You are not affected by the licenses
you choose for your own code.  You can mix and match for personal use
with anything you like.

It is the distribution where it affects the poor person trying to use your
scripts.  To make that easy, I'd just say in your license file that they
can use this code under either Apache or GPL at their choice.  And keep
the integration code that depends on the GPL dependency modularized
enough so that any giant corpiration that wants to use your scripts can
choose Apache + rewrite GPL module themselves.

The only place this matters for you is when someone submits a patch
to you for inclusion.  If they also allow use of their code under both
licenses, you're fine.

Just my non-lawyer $0.02.
- Chris