[kwlug-disc] Local places to buy unlocked phones...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 11 12:56:19 EDT 2018

It used to be that CyanogenMod was the go to distro for Android devices.
They went commercial, and many things happened, and LineageOS emerged
from that source tree.

I use an OmniROM variant on my [very old] tablet, and it has been
great, until Google started to use instruction sets (Neo on Tegra)
that are not available in my tablet. My workaround for now is to
install old versions of important [to me] apps.

One of the challenges I have noticed in the field of open source
Android distros is that they support a limited subset of phones. This
is due to the non-standardization of SoCs in the ARM world (which
device is connected to which pins for example), unlike the PC world,
where peripherals are standardized to a much higher degree.

That makes selecting a phone much harder.

Another obstacle is the bootloader locking. Manufacturers often lock
the bootloader so only signed firmware can be loaded. That makes
manufacturer and model).

To those who do use open distros on their phone: please post your
phone model and distro you use.