[kwlug-disc] Adding storage to a rack mount server

Charles McColm charlesm at theworkingcentre.org
Thu Sep 14 09:35:06 EDT 2017

I did this for about a year with our KODI server mounting the 1TB drive in another machine. That drive developed non-fatal SMART errors, but it was a few years old, went through several power-outages with no UPS, and was a Seagate 1TB model known to have issues. I was able to pull off all the data on to a 2TB drive later, but we stopped using the 1 TB drive.

Our XBMC/KODI server NFS mounted the drive, which was stored in a box in another room. This was how we stored our ripped movies for a good 1+ years.

Charles McColm, cr at theworkingcentre.org
http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Desk Phone: 519-743-1151 x121
Shop Phone: 519-743-1151 x225