[kwlug-disc] Adding storage to a rack mount server

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 15:20:42 EDT 2017

Greetings.

I have come into possession of a DL380 G6 2U server to replace the desktop
server I have at home.  The desktop has two internal, 3.5" 2TB SATA drives,
in a software raid 1.  Currently I have 8 2.5" 146GB SAS drives in the new
server, but I'd like to increase space at as low a cost as possible.

All I use the drives for are MythTV recordings and general storage of
pictures and documents.  Current usage is 1.1TB or 638GB without Myth
recordings. :)

My options seem to be:

1. buying 2x 2.5" 2TB SATA drives
  - About $250
  - Probably most reliable option

2. Using my current two drives in a USB RAID1 device
  - Cheaper, but...
    - No idea which one to use, there are dozens of them.
    - Not sure how I'd know if a drive failed

I planned to use ESX on this server, so if I did go with USB option, not
certain of the reliability of mounting USB drives on a guest OS.

Any thoughts, or suggestions out there?  Something I haven't thought of?

Thanks!