[kwlug-disc] OT: Online TV services?

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 17:03:16 EDT 2017

  I dropped cable back in 2012, and use the legal streaming options.  I am
also a Teksavvy customer.

  In all but one case, I don't use VPN services:
http://mcormond.blogspot.ca/2016/11/notes-from-watching-supergirl-via-vpn.html
.  VPN may annoy some of the legacy cable companies, but they are legal to
use -- and if NAFTA were a legitimate "trade agreement" then we'd have a
single content market and there wouldn't be shows legally available in the
US (where most people VPN to) but not in Canada.

Easiest to use service is Netflix, and it works on the most devices.  My
wife doesn't want to fiddle with messy websites to watch TV, so pretty much
only watches Netflix -- if we watch on a different streaming service then
I'm the one with the controls.

The second most useful for me is Google Play, where I can get seasons of
shows for not much -- and it works on most of my devices, but not quite as
easy as Netflix.

Amazon Prime is now in Canada, and there are some really good shows on that
-- but the catalog isn't huge.

Some Canadian broadcasters have their own custom apps and websites, but
they're all pretty bad.   I watch some shows on the CTV GO app, but its
flaky.

I also have CraveTV and while it is an amateurish services compared to the
professional "foreign" services, it often works. Pretty much everything
that is available on CraveTV is available in the USA via Netflix and/or
Hulu, and we'd all be better off if the region blocking were removed from
those better services.

As I try to speak to politicians about the problems caused by our outdated
broadcaster-centric cultural policy, I blog about my experiences.

http://mcormond.blogspot.ca/search/label/Television

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property rights
as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition! http://l.c11.ca/ict/

manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or portable
media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own