[kwlug-disc] Accepting bitcoin (and other cryptos) as a Canadian business

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Oct 20 12:37:00 EDT 2017

Chamunks wrote:
> So @Bob you're saying it's better to just cash out the 13% out of
> BTC and bank that for tax day?

I don't know if it's "better", but it's certainly more straightforward.

Until CRA starts accepting BTC as a payment method it needs to be
handled as a foreign currency. And I'm not sure if BTC is recognized
as a foreign currency, so then it may need to be dealt with as barter.
IANAA, YMMV, ETC.

Joel wrote:
> Your thinking is on the right track but I wouldn't record it that
> way.

Thanx Joel! As you point out, there are different ways of recording
the transaction, and different payment schedules to CRA. Retaining a
tax accountant for a small business is a prudent move.

- --Bob.