[kwlug-disc] Accepting bitcoin (and other cryptos) as a Canadian business

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Oct 19 21:52:36 EDT 2017

Remi Gauvin wrote:
> Not a tax accountant by any means

Me neither.

> If I traded $100 worth of my service for 1 BTC, then 2 months
> later,
traded that 1 BTC for $150 cash (or equivalent goods/service), my
total taxable income would be $150

This needs a tax accountant.  When I generate an invoice for services
rendered I charge HST (13%) at the time of invoicing.  So if I perform
a service for 1 BTC then I would charge 1 BTC + .13 BTC HST = 1.13
BTC.  CRA gets whatever that .13 BTC is worth at the time the services
are billed. The .13 BTC are not mine, and I can't spend it or invest it.

If two months down the road my 1 BTC has increased in value 1.5x then
that's a capital gains, just like any other investment. The .5 BTC
would be taxed at whatever the capital gains is.

- --Bob.