[kwlug-disc] KRACK on WPA2

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Oct 17 21:02:26 EDT 2017

John,

The Linux side of things has been solved within hours of this
vulnerability being disclosed. Packages were available, and they
were installed via the normal channels.

The issue here is not Linux, the issue is embedded devices, and
various non-Google hardware phones and tablets running Android.
These are dependent on the vendor of the phone, who historically
did not care beyond a year or two (if that, varies from brand to
brand).

As well, OpenWRT seems to have been abandoned, and LEDE is
the replacement for it.

In reality, this vulnerability can be exploited to sniff traffic that
is not otherwise encrypted (e.g. regular non-SSL HTTP traffic
to/from web sites). These are fewer than what they used to be,
but they are still there.

I'd rather have everything patched.