[kwlug-disc] KRACK on WPA2

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Oct 17 18:52:25 EDT 2017

On OpenWRT, there is a fix committed to the Chaos Calmer
branch (latest stable).

https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/555/commits/a1524efd13c52797d0f7492b9835a91598c073dd

But there is no package built after that fix, it you go here and scroll down
to hostapd-common.

https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/

See the date?

On the router, running:

# opkg update && opkg list-upgradable

Shows no updates, as follows:

# opkg list-installed | grep host
hostapd-common - 2015-03-25-1

So, I dug some more, and it seems that OpenWRT is kind of dormant,
but there is a successor project called LEDE.

Read the two pages here:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=72340

Bottom line: there are packages with the fix for LEDE. For OpenWRT, the
fix is in the snapshot only, not the Chaos Chalmer (latest stable).

So that means one has to jump to LEDE to get the fix.
Re-installation is a pain though.

Another thing mentioned in passing in the same thread is that there is
a reverse
merge that is planned. That is, anything changed since LEDE forked off from
OpenWRT, will be merged into LEDE, and then the LEDE source repository will

So here are the questions:

1. Anyone else using LEDE?

2. If you use OpenWRT, should we wait, rather than install LEDE?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.