[kwlug-disc] I miss KWLUG so badly!

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Nov 26 16:25:11 EST 2017

Hi Ron,

>> I've been kicking around the idea to fork VanLUG for months - just
>> as a bit of mental exercise.
>
> Unlike others on this thread I am going to put a note of caution
> against this. Starting your own group involves:

I am going to second Paul on this. Forking in the real world or a
project always feels like it should be the final option.

In addition to the possibility of joining their board, have you
considering doing supporting activities outside of the VanLUG? While
also making clear that they are free to "steal" your work?

Could include:
* blogging about Linux and FLOSS things happening in Vancouver
* blogging about FLOSS contributions made from Vancouver (e.g., search
github and write up interesting work as you see it go past)
* start a list of FLOSS contributing developers, projects and companies
in the city

You will end up networking, creating a useful resource on its own (which
 VanLUG could use), and you can send possible presenters to VanLUG.
If they are like us, then presenters is their main constraint! You can
probably provide the most value by sending them a stream of people
interested in presenting.

And if they are absolutely not interested you have still built/written
something cool, and you will have meet lots of FLOSS people.

win-win-win so many possible wins! :)

Andrew