[kwlug-disc] I miss KWLUG so badly!

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Nov 22 10:16:01 EST 2017

I agree with everything Paul says.

Regarding the web site, it is built with WordPress, so there are plenty of
resources that describe how that works, and it is fairly easy to get that
going. One important thing is to keep it up to date and not indulge on
every extension that is available. These tend to be not maintained over
time, and with security holes that are exploited by future automated
hacking scripts. Stay with the minimum functionality needed.

One issue is that they want to cram functionality into the web site
(membership info, payments, ...etc.) which prevents the web site from even
being an accurate announcement/general info site.

As Paul said, let the membership be a manual thing: a person collects cash
from attendees and issues receipts and then uses pen and paper with
spreadsheet. That way the web site is freed from these complexities and can
be effective for other things.

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc <
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> We miss you too! I do, anyways.
>
> It sounds to me as if VanLUG is in trouble, but not critically so. Do
> you have any inclination/energy to help revive it? You could be the
> VanLUG that you want to see in the world.
>
> KWLUG went through a similar process where things were still happening
> but the organizers were losing enthusiasm, and then an energetic young
> man by the name of Richard Weait came in and revitalized the place
> with his energy. That kept KWLUG going for at least a decade longer
> than it would otherwise have, even though Richard has since moved on.
>
> Here are some easy wins, based upon looking at the website and what
> you have told us:
>
> - You could work with the website maintainer and make some small
>   fixes. The front page could show upcoming meetings rather than the
>   wall of text that is there now.  You could figure out what the
>   proper meeting day is and then make sure the website reflects that
>   information. You could set up some contact mechanisms that work,
>   even if they are just ineffectively obfuscated email addresses
>   ("Contact us at vanlug at gmail dot com") and not real webforms.
>
> - You have done all kinds of interesting things, and you gave a talk
>   with Bob Jonkman on some of them. You could revive that talk or
>   offer to give a different one, the same way you were planning on
>   speaking with KWLUG.
>
> - There is a watcamp-style listing of tech events for Vancouver at
>   http://startupnorth.ca/events/vancouver-events/ . I see that the
>   last VanLUG meeting was not on that. It might be possible to get
>   future VanLUG meetings there (or maybe you can use that calendar to
>   find a less dysfunctional community).
>
> - After putting your money where your mouth is by giving a talk, you
>   could get some of the members to commit to giving talks in future
>   months, thus ensuring that there are regular meetings happening. One
>   of the reasons KWLUG still exists is because we do not take months
>   off. As soon as you start skipping meetings you are in trouble.
>
> There are some things that are less easy wins. Losing a mailing list
> is traumatic; if we lost kwlug-announce and its subscription base then
> KWLUG would likely be hosed. Dealing with membership fees and the
> restrictions of a nonprofit structure is a hassle, which is why I have
> resisted it (and probably hurt KWLUG in the process).
>
> The existing website is not fantastic but it is functional enough.
> People want to integrate all kinds of functionality into their
> websites, but I have come to believe that splitting this
> functionality can be a good idea. kwlug.org is now mostly an
> announcement site. If we had to deal with memberships and fees and
> such, then my preferred solution would be for the treasurer to have a
> spreadsheet or a GnuCash setup or something rather than trying to
> integrate some e-commerce solution into the main website. But these
> things are out of your hands as a newbie.

> [...]

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken