[kwlug-disc] OT: Online TV services?

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 10:26:11 EDT 2017

I use SickRage.  I have for years and it works just as Cranky mentioned.
It's very well maintained.  I didn't mention it because the thread was
looking for legit services.

FYI Cranky: SickRage can tell Kodi to update it's library remotely, you
don't have to re-scan all the time.  Kodi just has to be running. :)

My complete setup is something similar to what Charles M. just mentioned:

MythTV VM with 500GB of HDD space; recording shows and transcoding them to
H.264 to reduce space.
Media VM that runs SickRage, deluged (torrent) and of course shares out
everything with NFS.  I also run PlexMediaServer on that, which is very
handy when you just want to access everything via a web page.  Plex works
very well over my SSH Tunnel from work as it can transcode video on the
fly, reducing bandwidth. Imainly use it to listen to my audio library,
however; I have tested streaming movies and TV shows and it plays very
nicely.

The TV's all have a GBox Q2 Android box running Kodi to give me a central
pane of glass to access it all; and of course, use mysql to ensure the
Library is replicated across all three Kodi instances.

I use VM's as I have a Proliant DL380 with 128GB of memory and like to
separate things out. Plus, too many services on one box gets to be a
headache if you need to make changes; with the VM setup, it's easier to
spin up something new/nuke something old.