[kwlug-disc] OT: Online TV services?

Mark Steffen rmarksteffen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 21:26:15 EDT 2017

Legal?  Netflix, Youtube, CraveTV

Legal and Free (and somewhat good):  Crackle.com (owned by Sony), and
TubiTV.com (not sure who owns it but has decent content albeit a bit old).

Also, most of the TV networks also will stream for free a couple recent
episodes of what was recently on air, but for "full" access you need a
satellite/cable/IPTV subscription.

As others mentioned there is Kodi (and all it's shady TV/movie pirating
apps).  Kodi itself isn't illegal or shady and makes a great media player,
with lots of legal content plugins (that scrape/pull from legit streaming
network sources) but it is mainly popular for the apps that stream pirated
content.

I was lucky enough to get Shaw Direct through the LTSS program a few years
back (and then upgrade to a nearly full TV package for $25/month guaranteed
until at least end of 2019) but if they raise the price after that I will
just cancel it as nobody really watches 'regular' TV in my household, it's
mostly Youtube and Netflix.  I just like to have Shaw for the occasional
channel surfing when I'm bored, or to watch BNN/CNBC/live news/occasional
sports/etc.

*Mark Steffen*
Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile: +1.226.600.0464
*"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln*

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com