[kwlug-disc] Windows developers switch to git

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Fri May 26 21:29:04 EDT 2017

Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote on 2017-05-26 05:57 PM:

> It will be interesting to see whether
> Microsoft is (a) serious

It sure sounds like they are, it must have been a huge investment of
time and skill to make the change, and it seems to be working for them.

> and (b) successful in getting their changes
> accepted into mainline git.

This is an interesting angle.

They've contributed a fair bit to the Linux kernel, so I suspect git is
about to get a good sized set of patches, which ought to make it better
for everyone.

> It is also interesting to see how much
> internal time and effort they put into making git work for their huge
> repositories.

Indeed.  And Google themselves don't use git for their *core* projects:

> https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2016/7/204032-why-google-stores-billions-of-lines-of-code-in-a-single-repository/fulltext

> I wonder if they would have put the same effort into the
> project if the source was closed?

I suspect that the New Microsoft™ recognized, like most modern software
shops, that taking open source software and running with it is usually
more advantageous then starting from scratch and having 100% of the
maintenance burden on top of that.

Interesting times!

rb