[kwlug-disc] DNS Black Hole server

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Fri May 19 21:13:22 EDT 2017

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote on 2017-05-19 07:51 PM:

> The whole idea is to add to dnsmasq a list of domains that are aliased
> to either 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1.

I have (had) a bind server doing that (127.0.0.1), but of course, then
my phone made a query to itself. Probably not a big deal, but didn't
know how to make bind reply with NXDOMAIN in such instances.

Anyone know how that would be done?

> the list list
> is over 66,500 long and I was concerned that it would slow my router.

That's impressively large.

> Maybe someone can find this useful. Please report back if you try it.

I may give it a whirl and see if it impacts response time.

Thanks!